Sunday, February 3, 2008

Once upon a time..


As a child, I grew up reading fairy tales and remembering how magical they were. They always seemed to brighten up my day by just listening to the happy endings and how in every story there was some moral I had just learned. The fairy tales always sparked my imagination by picturing the impossible and the many different characters such as goblins, trolls, fairies, or talking animals.

Later I learned that the fairy tales I once knew to have happy endings were told much differently in other countries. Not only were they told differently, but the endings were no longer as happy as I remembered them to be in my childhood. As I researched fairy tales I learned about the Grimm brothers. The Grimm brothers are known for their great German literature and writing fairy tales through a scary perspective. I realized that America has a way of revising the stories for children, taking out sexual references that the story originally had. Not only has stories been revised but movies too. Walt Disney has altered movies such as The Little Mermaid, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella.

No comments: